Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ethan Tyler Couts

We had our baby! Ethan Tyler Couts came into the world at just 34 weeks. Life has been emotionally challenging for me, but I feel so blessed to have him in our lives and that he is doing well. I just went into pre-term labor on my own, and even with the meds the doctor gave me to stop my contractions, labor just happened. After delivery, my doc checked my placenta and told me it was beginning to detach. If it had detached more than 25%, he says the baby would have died within minutes. What a blessing that he is alive; and though it is a challenge to have him in the NICU (it is really really hard to leave your baby there and go home), I feel so grateful that he is alive and well.
I cannot begin to say how much I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. They have been so helpful!Align Center
The following is an email Spencer sent out to some of our friends...I have not been able to forward it on yet, but I am posting it here in hopes you can all get the update.

Dear Friends and Family,

Debbie and I are happy to share the news of the latest addition to our family. Although I thought we were way ahead in the game, I will never again doubt a mother’s intuition.

Just making it to 34 weeks in the womb, Ethan Tyler decided it was time to make his grand entrance into the world last Friday at around 9:30 in the morning. Mother and baby are doing well.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. They have been felt and appreciated!

Spencer & Debbie


In case you are interested, here are some essentials. Please do not be alarmed by the information. Things look very positive and any long term or severe risks are minimal. Ethan still has some minor hills to climb but he is doing really well and on his way. (Modern technology is amazing!)

- Again, mother and baby are doing well.
- Debbie was released late Sunday night.
- Ethan will likely be released towards the beginning of next week.
- Ethan was born at 4 lb. 14 oz and 18.5 cm.
- Ethan continues to make good progress.

Primary concerns with being born at 34 weeks
- Limited Strength & Energy
o 34 weekers have limited strength.
o They need to focus on the most important activities.
o Breathing / Digesting / Eating / Body Temp / Etc.
- Lung Development / Breathing
o Ethan is very blessed to be breathing on his own. (Very positive)
o Every now and then his breathing count (per minute) is a little high but still in an acceptable range.
- Digesting / Feeding Ability
o Ethan is doing really well digesting his food. (Very positive)
o He’s now up to 40 cc’s / 3 hours. (Very positive)
o Ethan does well sucking from a bottle but exhausts himself quickly. (Positive)
o He needs to switch off eating from a bottle and through a tube (gavage).
o We’re hoping to feed him strictly from a bottle in a day or two.
- Body Temperature
o Ethan is currently in an incubator to help maintain his body temperature.
o This allows him to allocate energy towards other important activities.
o He’s likely to be taken out of the incubator in a couple of days.
- Bilirubin Levels
o Ethan’s levels were a little high on Monday.
o He’s receiving a little light treatment and doing well.
o The levels came down yesterday.

Additional Notes
- The hospital is +/- 3.5 minutes from the house with no traffic at 70 mph.
- There is no advantage to sprinting out of the house at 3:30 a.m. if you are barefoot (you have to go back).
- We washed and folded all the infant cloths a week ago Saturday (because of Debbie’s strong prodding)
- Matthew is super excited about hugging and squeezing Ethan.
o We were concerned (and still are) about how jealousy might work into this but Matthew loves visiting Ethan and wants to hold him really bad.
o We’re now more concerned with Matthew being rough in showing affection.

Ethan soon after birth (this is a picture of a picture, hence the 80s look)

A baby Tan :)

Just Relaxing

10 comments:

Sarah and Bill Burke said...

Congratulation guys. Hang in there. Once they get out is when you wish you could bring them back to the NICU. ;-) I hope all continues to go well. You are in our prayers.

The Pachuilo Family said...

Congrats! We are so glad to hear that he is doing so well. Keep us updated.
Those babies sure have minds of there own.
He looks so cute, post more pics when you can.

Kaelyn said...

Congratulations!!!!! I am so glad that he is doing so well and has had a very small amount of complications. He looks perfect! I can't believe that you guys may get to take him home so soon. That is so wonderful! Well, we are so happy for you guys and we love you so much! Keep us posted on any updates!

The Waldrams said...

Congratulations! I hope you recover quickly and he keeps improving. He must have been anxious to join your cute family! Take care!

The Tate Fam said...

Congrats! We are so glad to hear everything is going well for you! I just checked you baby counter the other day and noticed that you were getting close! We wish we could come see you and will keep you in our prayers.

Tisha said...

congratulations! wow! way to have the clothes all ready and stuff debbie!- 34 weeks would have totally caught me by surprise! so, so glad that mama and baby ethan are doing well and we hope he gets to come home really soon! love you guys- we'll keep baby ethan in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a cute baby!! We are glad to hear he is doing so well. Please keep us updated.

The Proctor Group said...

So you went with Ethan Tyler instead of Ethan Paul :) He is so cute! I want to see him again. Please please let me know if you need anything. Let me know how things are going when you get a chance.

Sarahp said...

Hey! congrats! What a neat story and it sounds like there was a lot more to it. I am so glad that baby got here safely. I'm sure he was really meant to be here on earth and to be a part of your family. I haven't checked your blog for a long time, but I'm glad I did tonight! I'll fill Jared in, and I hope all is well with you guys, you are such good people. Good luck with the new bundle!

marcela said...

Congrats! Please let us know if there is anything you guys need. We are more than happy to have Mathew over to play.